For centuries, the Romincka Forest was a hunting ground for kings, dukes and Teutonic masters and commanders. At the same time, it remained inaccessible to common people. Its abundance of wild game and birds, beautiful forests and waters, as well as the unique land features and wilderness attracted the attention of many. The forest was famous especially for the local deer, which, due to its incredible antler, was named the Romincki Deer. In 1890, the forest became a hunting territory of the emperor Wilhelm II — it was in that year when the emperor came hunting here for the first time. On 23 September of that year, he shot a great deer. To commemorate this event, a stone block was placed in the forest, believed to be the first of an entire group of similar stone blocks. It is now located in the Russian part of the forest. Since that time, Wilhelm II hunted here regularly between 23rd September and 7th October of each year. The last imperial hunting in the forest took place on 2nd October 1913. Altogether, there are 14 stone blocks commemorating Wilhelm II’s hunting, 8 of which are located in the Polish part of the forest, including 2 without any inscriptions.
This material was prepared as a result of putting together the concept of the Association “Miracles Factory,” the knowledge of dr. Adreas Gautschi, and the financing provided by the Commune of Gołdap.
The stone block “Dwutysięczny” (Two-Thousandth), situated by a road between forest divisions 202 and 283.
GPS 54º19’25,80’’ N, 22º31’27,70’’W
The stone block “Dwustronny” (Two-Sided), located on the edge of a clearing near the Czerwona Struga river tributary (not far from the Two-Thousandth stone block). GPS 54º19’26,52’’ N, 22º32’09,64’’W
The stone block “Czterodwudziestak” (Small), located by the dust road leading to Żytkiejmy – the oldest of the stone blocks located in the Polish part of the forest. GPS 54º20’21,94’’ N, 22º33’21,60’’W
The stone “W błocie” (In the Mud), located by the green trail near Stańczyki. GPS 54º18’24,58’’ N, 22º40’12,84’’W
The stone “Pasza” in the Boczki nature reserve.
The stone “Dwunastokrotny” (Twelve-Timer) in the Żytkiejmska Struga nature reserve.
Te stone “Na wyspie” (On the Island) – without inscription.
The stone “Przy drodze” (By the Road) – without inscription – located between forest divisions 104 and105, west of Hajnówka (Czarnowa).
If you happen to come across hitherto undiscovered stone blocks while wandering through the Romincka Forest, please contact us at www.glazywilhelma.pl.